1. Never trust the mental state of another human being.
2. But, regardless of said state, be kind.
3. Be kind.
4. Be kinder. Or more kind. Whatever it is.
5. Don’t take sides. There are never really sides, but rather people, who need to be heard. Hear them, think, and then advise. And only if you’re asked. And then, refer. To a psychologist. Or psychiatrist.
6. If it hurts, someone else hurts more.
7. Be the bigger person. Even if it’s not asked of you. Take the high road in conversations you’re not even involved in. This, quite frankly, is thankless, but it absolves you of all of the creepy thing you may or may not have done your freshman year of college in front of the Sigma Chi fraternity house.
8. Love people. Expect the best from them, but don’t judge them too harshly when they fail.
9. Do whatever you want to. And don’t be an asshole.